The oldest purpose-built cinema in the Southern Hemisphere - [THE VICTORIA PICTURE PALACE] - will be re-opened on the 23rd of October 2010. The theatre was constructed in 1912 by John Leon Benwell during the silent movie era. The exterior of the building has received a facelift and the interior has undergone major refurbishment. Three screens (180 seat Victoria Theatre, 116 seat Albert Theatre and 44 seat Benwell Theatre) are on offer which will feature a mix of art house and popular cinema. The grand re-opening will be celebrated with live performances, a documentary on the history of The Vic and the screening of a selection of New Zealand short films.